The Council is the 21-member governing body and board of directors that manages and administers College affairs. The policies developed by Council provide direction to the College and to staff.
December 2, 2020
- Toula Kourgiantakis, RSW, President, provided her report to Council.
- Lise Betteridge, RSW, Registrar and CEO, and Laura Sheehan, Deputy Registrar, presented their report to Council. The report provided updates under each strategic priority in the College’s 2020-2023 Strategic Plan and included information about the following: registration and membership updates, including the launch of the College’s annual renewal process and the expedited development of an online application process; the College’s IT Transformation Plan; the Professional Practice Department and ongoing practice support for members, including presentations and new FAQs on cross-jurisdictional practice; the College’s ongoing stakeholder engagement initiatives including website and social media as well as its public and employer campaigns; government relations, as it relates to the College’s continuing engagement with government regarding the registration of CAS workers; the College’s newly developed Indigenous webpage; and Complaints and Discipline, including the preliminary work towards an online complaints process.
- Council reviewed the Statement of Financial Position as of September 2020.
- Council reviewed the Statement of Operations for September 2020.
- Council reviewed and approved the 2021 Budget and Work Plan.
- Council reviewed the upcoming Council education sessions.
- Council delegated to the Standards of Practice Committee the task of overseeing a review of the College’s Standards of Practice.
- Dwight J. Hymans, Lavina Harless and Jennifer Henkel of the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) provided some context regarding ASWB’s decision to develop a French version of their entry-to-practice exams for social workers and a social service work exam in French and English.
- Council considered the issue of collecting race-based data on a voluntary basis, as part of the annual renewal process, and directed staff to gather further information to assist them in making a decision.
- Council reviewed and approved revisions to the Registration Policy on Language Proficiency.
- Council reviewed a summary of the College’s 2020 Annual Meeting and Keynote Address and two Educational Forums.
- Reports were received from the following statutory committees: Executive; Complaints; Discipline; Registration Appeals; and Fitness to Practise.
- Council reviewed a follow up report by from the Registrar in relation to the Council Evaluation Report received at the September Council meeting.
- Council discussed the decision by the Executive Committee to form a Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Task Group.
- Council approved the appointment of Crowe Soberman LLP as the College’s auditors for the year ending December 31, 2020, and agreed to undertake an RFP process in the new year.
- Reports were received from the following non-statutory committees: Standards of Practice; Election; Nominating; Finance; Governance; Corporations; and Titles and Designations.