The Ontario College of Social Workers and Social Service Workers (the “College”) is the provincial regulatory body
for social workers and social services workers. The College’s primary duty is to serve and protect the public interest.
The College’s mandate includes the regulation of the practice of social work and social service work and governing
The College (which term includes the College’s Council members, committee members, members, staff and agents)
uses social media, including but not limited to Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn, to share
information about the College’s activities and information that may be of interest to members of the College
and/or the public.
Media Platforms”), including any of the College’s advertisements on such Social Media Platforms (e.g. Facebook
Ads). These Terms apply to all users that engage with the College’s Social Media Platforms, including members of
the College and members of the public (“you”). By engaging with the Social Media Platforms, you acknowledge and
agree to the following terms and conditions:
- The views of users posting/commenting on our Social Media Platforms do not necessarily reflect the opinions
and position of the College.
- With a view to protecting the privacy of registered social workers and registered social service workers, as well
as the privacy of their clients, the College will endeavour to remove any posts, tweets, comments, messages,
captions, photos, videos, and/or other social media content or materials (“Social Media Content”) containing
an individual’s personal information. Personal information includes information about an identifiable
individual, such as an individual’s name, address, birth date, gender, social status, and disciplinary action. For
- “Likes”/retweets/favourites/shares, etc. from the College are NOT an endorsement or recommendation of the
Social Media Content. Any Social Media Content that is not posted by the College is the opinion of the author,
not the College.
- Links to any third-party websites or content (e.g. via articles or stories) are NOT an endorsement or
recommendation by the College of the linked Social Media Content. The College does not control or maintain
such Social Media Content.
- Your use of any of our Social Media Platforms, including, without limitation, posted or linked Social Media
Content, is entirely at your own risk. Private information (about you or anyone else) and confidential matters
should never be posted on or linked through social media. The College does not make, and expressly disclaims,
any representations, warranties or covenants, express or implied, relating to the Social Media Platforms or any
Social Media Content thereon.
- The College may (but is not required to) monitor (to a limited degree and not at all times) our Social Media
Platforms. The College reserves the right (but is not required) to edit, to move or to remove all or any portion
of any Social Media Content for any reason whatsoever. Without limiting the preceding, this applies to Social
Media Content that is:
• Racist, hateful, sexist, homophobic, libelous, insulting or threatening.
• Aggressive, harassing, coarse, violent, obscene or pornographic.
• Offensive, rude, abusive, or otherwise inappropriate.
• Repetitive or spamming.
• Put forward for advertising purposes, such as promoting services or products.
• Defamatory or potentially defamatory or discrediting in any manner to the College, any member of
the College, or any other person.
• Political, including promotion or opposition of any political party or a person campaigning for elected
• Written in a language other than English or French.
• Referencing any case, ongoing case, or investigation.
• In breach of any law, statute, regulation, or standard.
- The College is not responsible or liable for any damages of any kind whatsoever (including, without limiting the
preceding, direct, indirect, special, incidental, consequential, punitive, exemplary or other damages), whether
based in contract, tort, negligence, or any other legal basis, arising out of or in connection with: (i) the Social
Media Platforms; (ii) your use of or engagement with any of the Social Media Platforms; (iii) any Social Media
Content, including any posted or linked Social Media Content to third party websites; or (iv) the collection, use,
disclosure, security, retention, return or destruction of any information (including personal information) arising
out of or in connection with any of the preceding.
- Please be aware that the service providers of the Social Media Platforms and linked third party websites also
policies and practices (including any community standards) of the Social Media Platforms and third party
websites, and make sure you understand them before you engage with the Social Media Platform or third
party website. You are responsible for your own compliance with such policies, practices, standards, and
- The College may restrict or suspend a user’s access to our Social Media Platforms at any time and for any
reason, including in the event of a user’s non-compliance with these Terms (e.g. engagement in any of the
prohibited activities described in Section 6 of these Terms). If you are aware of another user engaging in any of
the prohibited activities described in Section 6 of these Terms, please contact the College by using the contact
information provided below.
- The College reserves the right to supplement, update, modify, or replace any part of these Terms by posting
updates and/or changes to this website. It is your responsibility to check this page periodically for changes. You
can review the most current version of these Terms at any time on this page. Your continued use of or
engagement with our Social Media Platforms following the posting of any changes constitutes your acceptance
of those changes.
- In the event that any provision of these Terms is determined to be unlawful, void, or unenforceable, such
provision shall nonetheless be enforceable to the fullest extent permitted by applicable law, and the
unenforceable portion shall be deemed to be severed from these Terms, all without affecting the validity and
enforceability of any other remaining provisions.
- These Terms are governed by the laws of the Province of Ontario and the Federal laws of Canada applicable
PLEASE NOTE: The College is unable to address specific issues and/or complaints in a public forum (including
through any Social Media Platform). These matters can ONLY be handled through direct contact with the College’s
Complaints and Discipline Department. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Last Updated: March 2021