The Council is the 21-member governing body and board of directors that manages and administers College affairs. The policies developed by Council provide direction to the College and to staff.
September 9, 2020
- The following Council members were elected by Council to the Executive Committee:
- Toula Kourgiantakis, RSW – President
- Mukesh Kowlessar, RSSW – Vice-President
- Déirdre Smith, Public Member – Vice-President
- Sanjay Govindaraj, RSW – Executive Member
- Shelley Hale, RSSW – Executive Member
- Pamela Murphy, Public Member – Executive Member
- Council reviewed the outgoing President’s Report.
- Council received orientation and training from Crowe Soberman LLP regarding financial reports and Council responsibilities.
September 10, 2020
- Council approved the recommendations of the Nominating Committee with respect to the member composition and chairs of statutory and non-statutory committees.
- Lise Betteridge, RSW, Registrar and CEO, and Laura Sheehan, Deputy Registrar, presented their report to Council. The report provided updates under each strategic priority in the College’s new Strategic Plan and included information about the following: the Professional Practice Department and educational resources for students; the College’s ongoing communications initiatives including its social media strategy and public awareness campaign; the upcoming Educational Forums; government relations, as it relates to the child welfare reform; the College’s newly developed diversity, equity and inclusion webpage; Complaints and Discipline; registration and membership updates, including the impact of COVID-19 on operations; and an update on the College’s IT strategy.
- Council reviewed the Statement of Financial Position as of June 2020.
- Council reviewed the Statement of Operations as of June 2020.
- Council reviewed and approved in principle the 2021 Budget and Work Plan.
- Reports were received from the following statutory committees: Executive; Complaints; Discipline; Registration Appeals; and Fitness to Practise.
- Jim Dunsdon presented a Council Evaluation Report to Council.
- Council reviewed the College’s Risk Register, with guidance from John Risk of WeirFoulds LLP.
- Reports were received from the following non-statutory committees: Standards of Practice; Election; Nominating; Finance; Governance; Corporations; and Titles and Designations.
- Council reviewed and approved revisions made to: Policy B-012 – Communication Policy and Policy B-020 – Governance Model Policy.