Practising Electronically in Ontario

Are you a registered social worker practising in Canada who is interested in practising only by electronic means in Ontario?

Social workers registered in good standing in another Canadian province or territory who wish to deliver social work services in Ontario, exclusively by electronic means, may apply for registration through the College’s online application portal and pay a reduced fee.

What does it mean to practise electronically?

“Electronic social work practice” means the delivery of social work services by the use of any electronic device (such as a computer, tablet, smartphone, landline telephone) or any electronic format (such as the internet, social media, online chat, text, video, and email) and other electronic means.


In order to be registered to practise electronically in Ontario, an applicant must be a member in good standing of another Canadian province or territory. They must hold a certificate of registration, license or permit for social work that has been issued by a Canadian social work regulatory authority which authorizes them to practise the profession of social work or to use a title or designation relating to the profession, or both. Applicants must also meet all the requirements of the Canadian Free Trade Agreement application (including academic verification of a social work degree for those registered in Alberta and Saskatchewan).1

“In good standing” means the member of the Canadian social work regulatory authority:

  1. Is not in default with respect to any obligation owed to the Canadian social work regulatory authority, including payment of an annual fee or any other amount owed to such authority;
  2. Is not the subject of any discipline or fitness to practise order, other than one that has been fully complied with;
  3. Is not the subject of a proceeding or ongoing investigation or any interim order or agreement arising out of a complaint, investigation, or proceeding; and
  4. Is in compliance with the continuing competence and quality assurance requirements of the Canadian social work regulatory authority.

Applicants must provide a written undertaking to the College. In the undertaking, they will agree to restrict their practice in Ontario exclusively to electronic social work practice to clients in Ontario that is delivered from another Canadian jurisdiction.

How to apply

Please ensure you first read all information related to the requirements for registration found on the Information for All Applicants webpage.

Applicants registered as a social worker in another Canadian province or territory can apply through the College’s online application portal.

If you would like to submit a paper-based application rather than completing the application online, please contact the Registration Department at

Once you have submitted your application, the College will contact you if more information is required. Once the College has all your documents, it typically takes four to six weeks to process your application. The process may take longer if the College requires more information. Documents submitted to the College become property of the College.


The registration fee and non-refundable application fee must be enclosed with the application.

  • The electronic practice application fee is $100.00
  • The electronic practice registration fee is $50.00

Members practising exclusively by electronic means in Ontario are required to pay an annual renewal fee of $50.00.


Current members who are registered in good standing and residing in another Canadian province or territory who wish to deliver social work services in Ontario, exclusively by electronic means, must download, complete and return the In Good Standing Certificate form to Current College members can contact for more information.

If you have questions about the electronic practice application process, please email


  1. The Ontario Government approved an exception to the labour mobility chapter of the Agreement on Internal Trade for social workers registered in Alberta and Saskatchewan. The Canadian Free Trade Agreement, which came into force on July 1, 2017, replaced the Agreement on Internal Trade. Here is the link to the exception: