The Council is the 21-member governing body and board of directors that manages and administers College affairs. The policies developed by Council provide direction to the College and to staff.
September 9, 2021
- The following Council members were elected by Council to the Executive Committee:
- Mukesh Kowlessar, RSSW – President
- Lisa Seburn, RSW – Vice-President
- John Fleming, Public Member – Vice-President
- Sanjay Govindaraj, RSW – Executive Member
- Shelley Hale, RSSW – Executive Member
- Pam Murphy, Public member – Executive Member
- Mukesh Kowlessar, RSSW, provided his President’s Report to Council and gave an update on the establishment of a working group to develop governance training.
- Council received orientation and training from Crowe Soberman LLP regarding financial reports and Council responsibilities.
September 10, 2021
- Council approved the recommendations of the Nominating Committee with respect to the member composition and chairs of statutory and non-statutory committees.
- Council engaged in a facilitated discussion on the ASWB entry-to-practice exams and passed a motion to adopt, in accordance with the ASWB’s timeline:
- entry-to-practice exams for both social work and social service work;
- French versions of both exams;
- a practice analysis for social service work and the development of a social service work exam; and
- support the development of an implementation plan.
- Lise Betteridge, RSW, Registrar and CEO, and Denitha Breau, Deputy Registrar, presented their report to Council. The report provided updates under each strategic priority in the College’s Strategic Plan and included information about the following: registration efficiencies associated with the online application process; Registration and Membership, including the milestone of reaching over 25,000 members; the Professional Practice Department’s continued practice support with an ongoing focus on technology and practice; the College’s upcoming fall Educational Forum; an overview on the College’s strategic communications approach and efforts; and Complaints and Discipline, including title protection.
- Council reviewed the Statement of Financial Position as of June 2021.
- Council reviewed the Statement of Operations as of June 2021.
- Council reviewed and approved in principle the 2022 Budget and Work Plan.
- Reports were received from the following statutory committees: Executive; Complaints; Discipline; Registration; and Fitness to Practise.
- The President provided a verbal update on Council Evaluation by the Governance Committee.
- Council reviewed the College’s Risk Register.
- Reports were received from the following non-statutory committees: Standards of Practice; Election; Nominating; Finance; Governance; Corporations; and Titles and Designations.