The Council is the 21-member governing body and board of directors that manages and administers College affairs. The policies developed by Council provide direction to the College and to staff.
September 5, 2019
- The following Council members were elected by Council to the Executive Committee:
- Shelley Hale, RSSW – President
- Lisa Seburn, RSW – Vice-President
- Déirdre Smith, Public Member – Vice-President
- Toula Kourgiantakis, RSW – Executive Member
- Mukesh Kowlessar, RSSW – Executive Member
- Rick Lamb, Public Member – Executive Member
- Council reviewed and approved Bylaw 117, amending Fees Bylaw 103.
- Council reviewed and amended Bylaw 118, amending Professional Corporations Bylaw 118.
- Council received orientation and training from Crowe Soberman LLP regarding financial reports and Council responsibilities.
September 6, 2019
- Council participated in an educational session provided by Lara Kinkartz from WeirFoulds LLP on the Long-Term Care Homes Public Inquiry.
- Council approved the recommendations of the Nominating Committee with respect to the member composition and chairs of statutory and non-statutory committees.
- Lise Betteridge, RSW, Registrar, and Laura Sheehan, Deputy Registrar, presented their report to Council. The report provided updates on: registration and membership statistics; the College’s ongoing communications initiatives, including its public awareness campaign and employer outreach initiative; website, social media and Online Register metrics; stakeholder outreach through the Professional Practice Department; Complaints and Discipline decisions and title protection; legislation and government relations; a security audit of the College’s premises; an update on the process of replacing the College’s current telephone system; and the College’s continued involvement within the regulatory community.
- Council reviewed the Statement of Financial Position as of June 2019.
- Council reviewed the Statement of Operations for June 2019.
- Council reviewed and approved in principle the 2020 Budget Work Plan/Strategic Plan.
- Council reviewed the report from the 2019 Annual Meeting and Education Day.
- Reports were received from the following statutory committees: Executive; Complaints; Discipline; Registration Appeals; and Fitness to Practise.
- Reports were received from the following non-statutory committees: Standards of Practice; Election; Nominating; Finance; Governance; Corporations; and Titles and Designations.
- John Risk of WeirFoulds LLP presented a risk management strategy update to Council.
- Jim Dunsdon presented a Council Evaluation Report to Council.
- Council received meeting dates for Council and Executive Committee for 2019-2020.