The Council is the 21-member governing body and board of directors that manages and administers College affairs. The policies developed by Council provide direction to the College and to staff.
September 6, 2018
- The following Council members were elected by Council to the Executive Committee:
- Shelley Hale, RSSW – President
- Lisa Seburn, RSW – Vice-President
- Déirdre Smith, Public Member – Vice-President
- Toula Kourgiantakis, RSW – Executive Member
- Mukesh Kowlessar, RSSW – Executive Member
- Rick Lamb, Public Member – Executive Member
- Council reviewed the outgoing President’s Report.
- Council received orientation and training from Crowe Soberman LLP regarding financial reports and Council responsibilities.
September 7, 2018
- Council approved the recommendations of the Nominating Committee with respect to the member composition and chairs of statutory and non-statutory committees.
- Lise Betteridge, RSW, Registrar, and Laura Sheehan, Deputy Registrar, presented their report to Council. The report provided updates on: registration and membership statistics including the College’s retention strategy; the annual Fair Registration Practices Report for the Office of the Fairness Commissioner (OFC) as well as OFC’s audit; an overview of the College’s recent service disruption; the College’s ongoing communications initiatives including employer outreach; the upcoming Educational Forums and Employer Roundtables; stakeholder outreach through the Professional Practice Department; the College’s continued involvement within the regulatory community; and the College’s launch of an unregulated practitioners webpage.
- Council reviewed the Statement of Financial Position as of June 2018.
- Council reviewed the Statement of Operations for June 2018.
- Council reviewed and approved in principle the 2019 Budget Work Plan/Strategic Plan.
- Council reviewed and approved in principle the Support Person Program – Sexual Abuse Allegations.
- Council reviewed the report from the 2018 Annual Meeting and Education Day.
- Reports were received from the following statutory committees: Executive; Complaints; Discipline; Registration Appeals; and Fitness to Practise.
- Reports were received from the following non-statutory committees: Standards of Practice; Election; Nominating; Finance; Governance; Corporations; and Titles and Designations.
- Council reviewed and approved Bylaw 109, amending Bylaw 66 with respect to revisions to: Practice Guidelines – Consent and Confidentiality with Children and Youth; Practice Guidelines – Custody and Access Assessments; Practice Guidelines – Medication Practices; and to the Standards of Practice – Principle IV: The Social Work and Social Service Work Record.
- Council reviewed and approved Bylaw 110, amending Bylaw 1 in regards to requiring members to provide information about their membership in other professional regulatory bodies, both in Ontario and in other jurisdictions.
- Council reviewed and approved Bylaw 111, amending Bylaw 36 with the addition of new eligibility requirements including a one year cooling off period for candidates for election to Council who hold a position on the provincial governing body of any professional association involving social work or social service work or on the executive of a collective bargaining unit involving social work or social service work.
- Jim Dunsdon presented his Council Evaluation Report to Council.
- Council reviewed and approved revisions made to: Policy B-006 – Role of President and Vice-Presidents; Policy B-019 – Evaluation Instrument; Policy B-028 – Council Policy and Evaluation; and new governance policy – Committee Evaluation Policy and Evaluation Template.