The Council is the 21-member governing body and board of directors that manages and administers College affairs. The policies developed by Council provide direction to the College and to staff.
May 9, 2017
- Beatrice Traub-Werner, RSW, President, presented her report to Council including the resignation (due to relocation outside of the province) of public Council member Sharmaarke Abdullahi.
- Lise Betteridge, RSW, Registrar, and Laura Sheehan, Deputy Registrar, presented their report to Council. The report provided updates on communications and social media; the 2017 Annual Meeting and Education Day (AMED); media relations; stakeholder outreach; upcoming Council elections in District No. 3; the database upgrade; registration and membership; the Domestic Violence Death Review Committee report and College operations.
- Council reviewed the Statement of Financial Position as of March 2017.
- Council reviewed the Statement of Operations as of March 2017.
- Council reviewed the 2016 audited financial statements approved by the Executive Committee.
- Council reviewed recommendations from the Finance Committee regarding membership fees for 2018; these recommendations were approved by Council.
- Council reviewed and approved the “Pathway” tool for members of Discipline panels who are elected to the Executive Committee.
- The Registrar reported on the College’s social service work recruitment and retention initiatives.
- Council reviewed and approved an application from the Addiction and Mental Health Worker Program at Centennial College to be approved as equivalent to a Social Service Work Program offered in Ontario at a College of Applied Arts and Technology.
- The Registrar provided an update regarding the College’s submissions on Bill 89, Supporting Children, Youth and Families Act.
- Reports were received from the following statutory committees: Executive; Complaints; Discipline; Registration Appeals; and Fitness to Practise.
- Council reviewed and approved revisions made to Policy B-005, Policy B-012, Policy B-020, Policy B-022, Policy B-025, Policy B-029, proposed by the Governance Committee.
- Council reviewed and approved draft Bylaw No. 101, which amends Bylaw No. 21 (“Chair for Election of Executive Committee”).
- Council reviewed and approved a risk management strategy.
May 10, 2017
- Council participated in an educational session presented by Dwight Hymans from the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB), which provided information about the ASWB’s entry-to-practice exam.
- Council discussed the issue of an entry-to-practice exam and approved a motion to remove this objective from Priority #2 of the College’s Strategic Plan.
- Debbie Tarshis from WeirFoulds provided an overview of the amendments to the Registration Regulation.
- Council approved the draft amendments to the Registration Regulation, which will be moving forward subject to approval of the government.
- Council approved the draft French translation of the Professional Misconduct Regulation.
- Reports were received from the following non-statutory committees: Standards of Practice; Election; Nominating; Finance; Governance; Corporations; and Titles and Designations.