The Council is the 21-member governing body and board of directors that manages and administers College affairs. The policies developed by Council provide direction to the College and to staff.
May 5, 2016
- Bob Thompson, RSW, President, presented his report to Council. The report addressed a variety of matters including Council vacancies and future meetings with College stakeholders.
- Lise Betteridge, RSW, Registrar, and Laura Sheehan, Deputy Registrar, presented their report to Council. The report provided updates on registration renewals; the 2016 Annual Meeting and Education Day (AMED); upcoming Council elections in Electoral District Nos. 1, 2 and 5; College operations; the controlled act of psychotherapy; media relations and recent developments; and recent meetings with the Ontario Ministry of Community and Social Services (MCSS) to discuss concerns related to Bill 119 (Health Information Protection Act, 2016).
- The Registrar announced that Dr. Helena Jaczek, Minister of the MCSS, will deliver opening remarks at AMED 2016.
- Guest Erik Lockhart presented the OCSWSSW strategic planning report. Council approved the report’s recommendations with revisions and discussed a communication plan.
- Council reviewed the financial statements as of March 31, 2016.
- Council reviewed the statement of operations as of March 31, 2016.
- Council reviewed the 2015 audited financial statements approved by the Executive Committee.
- The Registrar provided an update on amendments made to the Registration Regulation.
- Council reviewed recommendations by the Finance Committee to set membership fees for 2017, which were approved by Council.
- Council reviewed and approved an application from the Native Child and Family Services Program at Confederation College to be regarded as equivalent to a social service work program offered in an Ontario college of applied arts and technology.
- Council reviewed legal comments made to the French translation of the Registration Regulation and the Professional Misconduct Regulation. Council agreed to forward these comments to the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care.
- Reports were received from the following statutory committees: Executive; Complaints; Discipline; Registration Appeals; and Fitness to Practise.
- Council reviewed and approved revisions made to Policy B-009 and Policy B-015, proposed by the Governance Committee.
- The Registrar discussed the College’s procurement policy, including the need for a legal review.
May 6, 2016
- Council participated in an educational session presented by Alexandra Wilbee from WeirFoulds, LLP, which covered the topic of title protection.
- Lise Betteridge, RSW, Registrar, informed Council of the resignations of Council members Jennifer Hamilton, RSSW, and Mary Long, RSSW. Elections will be held to fill in Electoral District No. 4 to fill these vacancies.
- The Registrar informed Council of upcoming Council member evaluations.
- Reports were received from the following non-statutory committees: Standards of Practice; Election; Nominating; Finance; Governance; Corporations; and Titles and Designations.
- Professional development reports were received from Bob Thompson, RSW, President, who attended a WeirFoulds, LLP educational event; and Shelley Hale, RSSW, and Donald Panton, RSW, who attended an Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) board member training event.