Are you a registered social worker practising in Canada who is interested in practising, exclusively by electronic means, in Ontario?
Social workers registered in good standing in another Canadian province or territory who wish to deliver social work services in Ontario, exclusively by electronic means, may apply for registration with the OCSWSSW and pay a reduced fee.
What does it mean to practise electronically?
“Electronic social work practice” means the delivery of social work services by the use of any electronic device (such as a computer, tablet, smartphone, landline telephone) or any electronic format (such as the internet, social media, online chat, text, video, and email) and other electronic means.
In order to be registered to practise electronically in Ontario, an applicant must be a member in good standing of another Canadian province or territory. They must hold a certificate of registration, licence or permit for social work that has been issued by a Canadian social work regulatory authority which authorizes them to practise the profession of social work or to use a title or designation relating to the profession, or both. Applicants must also meet all the requirements of the Agreement on Internal Trade (AIT) application (including academic verification of a social work degree for those registered in Alberta and Saskatchewan).1
“In good standing” means the member of the Canadian social work regulatory authority:
- Is not in default with respect to any obligation owed to the Canadian social work regulatory authority, including payment of an annual fee or any other amount owed to such authority;
- Is not the subject of any discipline or fitness to practise order, other than one that has been fully complied with;
- Is not the subject of a proceeding or ongoing investigation or any interim order or agreement arising out of a complaint, investigation, or proceeding; and
- Is in compliance with the continuing competence and quality assurance requirements of the Canadian social work regulatory authority.
Applicants must also provide a written undertaking to the OCSWSSW. In the undertaking, they agree to restrict their practice in Ontario exclusively to electronic social work practice to clients in Ontario that is delivered from another Canadian jurisdiction.
Download the applicable forms to begin the application process:
FOR MEMBERS OF THE OCSWSSW
FOR APPLICANTS TO THE OCSWSSW
- Acknowledgement and Undertaking Form
- In Good Standing Certificate
- Registration Guide
- Application Form (valid until December 31, 2020)
- Supplemental Form – For use if you have not practised in the past five years
The registration fee and non-refundable application fee must be enclosed with the application.
- The electronic practice application fee is $100.00
- The electronic practice registration fee is $50.00
- The electronic practice annual fee is $50.00
- The Canadian Free Trade Agreement, which came into force on July 1, 2017, replaced the Agreement on Internal Trade.