If you have obtained:
- A social work degree from a social work program that is NOT accredited by the Canadian Association for Social Work Education (CASWE) or the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE); OR
- A social work degree from a country other than Canada or the United States that was evaluated by the Canadian Association of Social Workers (CASW) as NOT being equivalent to the minimum of a bachelor of social work degree from a social work program accredited by the CASWE; OR
- A degree that is not in social work,
you may submit an application showing you have a combination of academic qualifications and experience performing the role of a social worker for the Registrar’s consideration and determination regarding whether it is substantially equivalent to the qualifications required for a degree in social work from a social work program accredited by the CASWE.
The Registration Policy sets out the following criteria to assist in the Registrar’s determination regarding whether you possess the academic qualifications and experience required for a degree in social work from a CASWE accredited social work program:
- You must possess a minimum of a university-level bachelor’s degree, based on the norm of a four year first degree program (or a three year Bachelor’s degree from Quebec) with a minimum of 40 per cent course credits in liberal arts, humanities, and social sciences.
- Included in this degree, or in some combination of acceptable education and training obtained outside of the degree, there must be content judged to be minimally equivalent to 10 undergraduate university level courses in 12 specific areas. (One full university level course is equal to approximately 75 hours. The Registrar will also consider two single semester courses that cover the content area.)
- For a detailed description of the criteria that the Registrar will use to assess your application, please read the Registration Guide.
- You must have practised in a situation where you performed the role of a social worker for one year, having had direct responsibility for providing social work services to individuals, groups and communities.
- Within this year, 700 hours of your practice must have been supervised by a social worker.
5 Year Requirement
- It is a requirement for registration that you must have engaged in the practice of social work within the five years immediately before the date of the application or otherwise satisfy the Registrar that you are competent to perform the role of a social worker.
How to Apply
- Information for All Applicants
Before downloading the appropriate registration guide, application form and supplemental form, if applicable, please ensure you read the important information (including citizenship, language proficiency and translation requirements) found on the Information for All Applicants page. See also information for the Internationally Trained Applicants and the Ryerson Bridging Program.
Arrange for your university to forward an official transcript with the institution’s seal and signature of the Registrar directly to the College. Please note the following:
a. The document must contain your name as it appears on the application form and the name under which you were issued your academic qualifications. If the name used on the application form is different from the name on the academic verification, please explain.
b. The College accepts only original documents directly from the academic institution. Fax, email attachments, your own transcripts or photocopies of your academic qualifications are not accepted and will delay the application process.
c. If you completed your degree(s) outside Canada and the U.S., you must arrange to have your transcripts sent to a third-party evaluation agency that is a provincially mandated or a recognized credential evaluation agency such as World Education Services (WES) or the International Credential Assessment Service of Canada (ICAS). Visit their website(s) for details about their requirements including fees, translations and timelines. You must also provide with your application form a copy of the academic institutions official course description, course outlines or syllabi for the courses you completed, which are confirmed on your transcript.
The registration fee and non-refundable application fee must be enclosed with each application. Click here for more information about the fees.
- Length of Practice and Supervision Confirmation Form(s)
Ensure you forward the Length of Practice and Supervision Confirmation Form(s) to those persons who will provide information about your experience in performing the role of a social worker. The completed Length of Practice and Supervision Confirmation Form must be mailed by them directly to the College.
Mail your completed application form, any other documents you submit yourself, and the full fees to the College. Remember, a photocopy of the application or sending the application by fax or email will not be accepted. The review process will only begin after the College has received all your documents and fees. The College will contact you if more information is required. Once the College has all your documents, it typically takes three to six months to process your application. The process may take longer if the College requires more information. Documents submitted to the College become property of the College.
To download a registration package for a general certificate of registration in social work (combination of academic qualifications and experience performing the role of a social worker), please click on the following links:
- Registration Guide*
- Application Form
- Length of Practice and Supervision Confirmation Form
To be forwarded by you to the individual(s) you have chosen to complete the form about your practice and supervision.
- Supplemental Form
* Before completing the application form, please read the Registration Guide for further requirements.
If you have questions about the application process, you may contact the College at 416-972-9882 or toll free 1-877-828-9380, or email Registration.