For Applicants: While the College’s physical office remains closed to the public, we continue to carry out our regulatory operations including processing applications for registration received by mail. We thank you for your patience as we anticipate delays in processing times due to the high volume of received applications.
Academic institutions should continue to mail official transcripts directly to the College; however, if this is not possible, we will continue to accept emailed transcripts directly from the academic institution to firstname.lastname@example.org. All registration inquiries, including requests for high-priority registration, can be sent via email to email@example.com.
When you become a registered member of the College, you join a community of social workers and social service workers across Ontario committed to professional, ethical, qualified and accountable practice.
Professional self-regulation protects the public from unqualified, incompetent or unfit practitioners. Registration with the College demonstrates to the public that you:
- Have met specific registration requirements.
- Follow a code of ethics and standards of practice.
- Engage in ongoing learning through the College’s Continuing Competence Program (CCP).
- Are accountable to the College rigorous complaints and discipline processes.
It also brings credibility to you as an individual practitioner.
Registration is also the law. Only registered College members can use the following titles:
- Social Worker
- Social Service Worker
- Registered Social Worker
- Registered Social Service Worker
Registration is also required if you represent or hold yourself out as a social worker or social service worker.
Registration with the College – what you need to know
Graduates of an approved/accredited social service work (SSW), bachelor of social work (BSW) or master of social work (MSW) program are eligible for registration with the College. Please visit our lists of approved social work programs and social service work programs.
If you are a graduate of a social work or social service work program outside Canada or the United States, or in a program that is not social work or social service work, please click here for relevant information.
Registration prior to convocation
We understand that in some circumstances you may need to register with the College before convocation. This is not the case for all new graduates. If you are graduating with a degree in social work or a diploma in social service work and require membership in the College prior to convocation – but after you have completed all the academic and practicum requirements of your program – the Registrar may issue a general certificate of registration provided all other registration requirements are met, and you agree to a term, condition and limitation on your certificate of registration. (This term, condition and limitation will be removed once the College receives verification from your academic institution that you have obtained a degree in social work or a diploma in social service work.)
Please note that this is a two-step process and is not a required step to registration. For the College to issue a certificate of registration on this basis, you must submit the following to the College:
- Completed application form for registration as a social worker or social service worker.
- Non-refundable application fee and registration fee. You may be eligible for a reduced fee.
- Confirmation of the Completion of Requirements for a Social Work Degree Form completed by the dean/director of your social work program OR Confirmation of the Completion of Requirements for a Social Service Work Diploma Form completed by the coordinator of your social service work program, and forwarded directly to the College.
- Student/Applicant Declaration, Consent and Undertaking Regarding a Social Work Degree Form OR Student/Applicant Declaration, Consent and Undertaking Regarding a Social Service Work Diploma Form, signed by you agreeing to the term, condition and limitation on your certificate of registration.
Due to the multiple steps in this process, it may take up to six weeks to process your application.
Important Note: If you will be obtaining your social work degree or social service work diploma within approximately six weeks from the date the application is received at the College, you do not need to follow these steps. Click here to take the next steps and join the College.