The Ontario College of Social Workers and Social Service Workers has struck a Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) Task Group to assist us in moving forward on our commitment to enhancing diversity, equity and inclusion – a key priority in the College’s Strategic Plan 2020-2023.
DEI Task Group – Terms of Reference
The Task Group will be co-chaired by Sanjay Govindaraj, RSW, and a non-Council member of the College. In accordance with its Terms of Reference, the Task Group will provide recommendations and advise Council on:
- The potential for, and/or existence of, systemic and structural racism, discrimination and/or bias within the College’s statutory, regulatory and governance policies and processes;
- Strategies, including bylaw and policy amendments, standards, guidelines and other tools to address any identified issues;
- an approach to the development of partnerships with Indigenous communities to begin to implement the Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada’s calls to action within the regulatory sector; and
- the engagement of community groups and leaders in the activities of the Task Group.
Submitting an Expression of Interest
Members of the College are invited to submit their expressions of interest in becoming a member of the Task Group by completing the form available at the following link by Thursday, May 6:
Five non-Council members of the College will be selected by the Executive Committee to be members of the Task Group, using the following criteria:
- a demonstrated commitment to advancing issues of diversity, equity and inclusion;
- lived experience, with priority being given to members who are Black, Indigenous or people of colour, and/or from other equity-seeking groups;
- relevant work and/or volunteer experience; and
- an understanding of, and support for, the role and mandate of the College.
Non-Council members of the College will join the following members of the College Council on the Task Group:
- Durel Allen, RSW
- Sanjay Govindaraj, RSW (Co-Chair)
- Amanda Bettencourt, RSSW
- Charlene Crews, RSSW
- Mukesh Kowlessar, RSSW (President of the College Council)
- Carrie McEachran, Public Member
- Déirdre Smith, Public Member
Non-Council members of the College selected for the Task Group will be reimbursed in accordance with the College’s Per Diem and Expense Policy.
Need more information?
We look forward to selecting a diverse group of College members for this important initiative.
For more information, please contact Amy Vranchidis, Office of the Registrar at email@example.com.