Professional Practice Update: Required Readings for 2021 CCP and FAQs on Cross-Jurisdictional Practice

The Ontario College of Social Workers and Social Service Workers (the College) is pleased to share the following updates and resources to support members’ practice.

2021 Continuing Competence Program

As part of the 2021 Continuing Competence Program (CCP), you are required to review – along with the Standards of Practice – the following practice resources:



A condition of College registration

Your participation in the CCP demonstrates your commitment to professional and ethical practice.

The CCP is mandatory for all members of the College (except those holding a retired class of certificate of registration), and includes those who are not currently practising, are members of the inactive class, are on maternity, parental or sick leave, or who registered late in the year. Please be advised that the Registration Regulation (Regulation 383/00) made under the Social Work and Social Service Work Act gives the College the authority to suspend the certificate of registration of a member for non-compliance with the CCP.

Watch the educational video below for a snapshot of the CCP requirements:

Please visit the College website for more information on CCP learning activities, documents, evaluation, frequently asked questions and more. For all CCP-related inquiries, please contact the Professional Practice Department at

REMINDER – FAQs on Cross-Jurisdictional Practice

The College continues to receive a high number of inquiries related to cross-jurisdictional practice. As noted in previous member communications, we have developed frequently asked questions to offer some guidance on this topic, including the following:

Q: I’m registered as a member of the College. Am I allowed to practise in other provinces/jurisdictions?
A: College members who are wondering whether they can provide services to clients who live outside Ontario are advised to contact the regulatory body of the province or jurisdiction where the client is located to determine the requirements of the regulatory body in that province or jurisdiction. Members in this situation are also advised to seek legal advice and contact their professional liability insurance provider before providing services.

Q: I’m registered as a member of the College, but not currently living in Ontario. Am I permitted to provide care and services to clients who live in Ontario?
A: Members of the College are permitted to practise in Ontario, whether or not they reside here. Practice may include direct or indirect, clinical or non-clinical care or services.

Read all FAQs on cross-jurisdictional practice

Please contact the Professional Practice Department at for all practice-related inquiries.