The following programs in Ontario have been approved as equivalent to a social service work program offered in Ontario at a college of applied arts and technology:
- Addiction and Mental Health Worker Program – Centennial College of Applied Arts and Technology
- Native Child and Family Services Program – Confederation College of Applied Arts and Technology
- Human Services Counsellor – Durham College of Applied Arts and Technology
- Human Services Counsellor – George Brown College of Applied Arts and Technology
- Community Worker – George Brown College of Applied Arts and Technology
Please note that programs from private career colleges do not meet the education requirement(s) for registration in either category of the College (SSW or SW). This applies to any application for registration. Accumulating post-graduate work experience does not alter this.
How to Apply
- Information for All Applicants
Before downloading the appropriate registration guide, application form and supplemental form, if applicable, please ensure you read the important information (including citizenship, language proficiency and translation requirements) found on the Information for All Applicants page.
Arrange for your college of applied arts and technology to forward an official transcript with the institution’s seal and signature of the Registrar directly to the College. Please note the following:
a) The document must contain your name as it appears on the application form and the name under which you were issued your diploma in social service work. If the name used on the application form is different from the name on the academic verification, please explain.
b) The College accepts only original documents directly from the academic institution. Fax, email attachments, your own transcripts or photocopies of your academic qualifications are not accepted and will delay the application process.
The registration fee and non-refundable application fee must be enclosed with each application. Click here for more information about the fees.
If you are graduating with a social service work diploma and require membership in the College prior to convocation, but after you have completed all the academic and practicum requirements, the Registrar may issue a general certificate of registration for social service work provided all other registration requirements are met and you agree to a term, condition and limitation on the certificate.
If you are a graduating student and would like to apply for a certificate of registration prior to your convocation:
- Complete an application form and forward it with applicable fees to the College.
- Contact the program coordinator of your social service work program and request that s/he complete the “Confirmation of Completion of Requirements for a Social Service Work Diploma” form. Program coordinators of Ontario-accredited social service work programs have received this form. If you attended an approved program outside Ontario, the College will forward a form to the program coordinator upon your request. Ensure the program coordinator forwards the completed, dated and signed form directly to the College. Fax, email attachments or photocopies of the form are not accepted and will delay the application process.
- Once the College receives the completed form from the program coordinator and reviews your application, we will forward to you a “Student/Applicant Declaration, Consent and Undertaking Regarding a Diploma in Social Service Work” form.
- Read, complete, date and sign the form and forward it to the College by mail, fax or email.
- Upon the College receiving your signed form, the Registrar will continue to review your application for membership.
- If the Registrar issues you a general certificate of registration for social service work, with the term, condition and limitation outlined to you, you are then required to provide the College with confirmation that you have obtained your diploma in social service work within the time frame specified in the term, condition and limitation.
Once your diploma has been conferred, arrange for your academic institution to forward directly to the College an official transcript with the institution’s seal and signature of the college registrar. Failure to do so, within the required time frame, specified in the term, condition and limitation, will result in the cancellation of your certificate of registration.
Mail your completed application form and the full fees to the College. Remember, only original documents will be accepted. The review process will only begin after the College has received all your documents and fees. The College will contact you if more information is required. Once the College has all your documents, it typically takes four to six weeks to process your application. The process may take longer if the College requires more information. Documents submitted to the College become property of the College.
Download the following forms if applicable for a general certificate of registration in social service work.
* Before completing the application form, please read the registration guide for further requirements.
If you have questions about the application process, you may contact the OCSWSSW at 416- 972-9882 or 1-877-828-9380 or email Registration.